Ridesharing tech companies Uber and Lyft want your business, bad. That means occasional free rides and discounts for us.
While free rides for new users of these apps are always available and easy to find, free rides for existing users are somewhat rare.
Today I learned about a few free ride opportunities for existing users:
- $5 off Uber ride with code LAYSSUMMER. This has been around a few weeks, but I learned about it today from Dan’s Deals. Here are the tweets from Lay’s:
- $5 off your next two airport rides on Lyft. I received this tip from TPG, and the code worked for me, but unfortunately it appears this promo has been all used up (I’m sorry if that was tease):
- I also got an email from Uber today saying I have $5 off my next 5 rides, no code needed. I look forward to this same or similar promo from Uber SF every couple of months. This is great because short rides around SF for under $5 are easy to get using UberPool, which is where you share your ride with other riders going the same direction, for a cheaper fare.
Here’s an example of a ride I took in April using a $5 off promo:
Ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft are the simpler, cheaper, cleaner version of taking a taxi. I’ve posted about these companies quite a few times, if you’re interested in learning more:
- Uber now knows when your driver isn’t driving safely
- Lyft is giving free rentals to drivers in some cities
- There is a “fair trade” alternative to Uber & Lyft in NYC
- Why Uber’s stubbornness on in-app tipping will cost them
- Why an SF law made me stop driving for Uber/Lyft in SF
I don’t put referral links on this site because I want to always give an unbiased view, but let me know if you want to try any of these apps out and need a sign-up code for free rides.
Any time I hear about deals like these, I’ll tweet about it, so follow me if you’d like.
Have a great day!